Bengeo Lodge

Lodge Number: 6801
Consecration: 24 January 1949
Meeting Place: The Masonic Hall – Royston
Meeting Dates: First Saturday October (Installation)
First Saturday February
First Saturday April
Second Saturday December

The first meeting of 16 potential Founder members of the proposed Bengeo Lodge was held on September 14th 1948.  The place of meetings was to be Shire Hall, Hertford. It was the obvious place, as in 1948 it was extremely doubtful whether another suitable building could be found in the Hertford area.   It was then announced with obvious delight that the East Hertfordshire Lodge No 3748 would be pleased to sponsor the Petition for the formation of the Bengeo Lodge, and early in December a notification was received that the Petition had been granted. Arrangements were then made for the Consecration to take place on January 24th 1949.

The Lodge size grew in the late 1950s to the 1970’s from 40 to peak at about 55. However, in recent years, membership numbers have remained small at about 25. A number of years ago we moved from Hertingfordbury to Royston, the number of members is still not high but despite this the lodge is always complemented upon the happiness and sincerity of its meetings. Everyone is always made most welcome. Lodge fees are kept to a minimum and every meeting is well filled with guests from lodges near and far. New members will be very welcome.

The latest Bengeo Lodge Banner was dedicated on 9th April 2005 and depicts both St Leonard’s church in Bengeo  and the River Beane in Hertford. The building claims to be the oldest in Hertford. It stands on top of a hill looking down on the River Lea and Hertford town centre. The name Belingehou is the ancient name of Bengeo and is shown in 1086 by officials of William the Conqueror to assess taxes. In February 2009 to celebrate the Lodge’s Diamond Jubilee the Banner was re-dedicated by W. Bro. Brian Tierney APGM