Bishops Hatfield Lodge

Lodge Number: 6893
Consecration: 22 September 1949
Meeting Place: Ashwell House – St Albans
Meeting Dates: 1st Saturday May (Installation)
1st Saturday March
1st Saturday September
3rd Saturday December


Bishop’s Hatfield Lodge was consecrated at the Cafe Royal. The intention was a Hatfield Lodge meeting in Hatfield on Saturdays four times a year. Eight of the fifteen Founders were residents of Hatfield, including the then Marquess of Salisbury. It was intended that membership should be formed predominantly from residents of Hatfield, or Brethren with strong connections with Hatfield. The name Bishop’s Hatfield was taken from the reference to Hatfield in the Domesday Book. The Bishop’s Mitre was adopted as the Lodge emblem.

Meetings were originally held in the Red Lion, Hatfield, then at Brookmans Park Hotel, and since 1970 at Ashwell House.

The late Deputy Provincial Grand Master, VW Bro Geoffrey Pryke, was initiated into the Lodge in 1953 and later held the Office of Secretary.