Old Stortfordian Lodge

Lodge Number: 5721
Consecration: 26 April 1938
Meeting Place: The Masonic Hall – Sawbridgeworth
Meeting Dates: 3rd Saturday March (Installation)
2nd Saturday June
2nd Saturday October
2nd Saturday December


The origins of the Old Stortfordian Lodge lay in the hands of several Old Boys and Masters of the School, whose ideas and initiatives led to its foundation. Their wish to form a Lodge centred on the School which would accommodate those living some distance away. The Lodge was established primarily for the association and convenience of Old Stortfordians and adapted the School Badge as its Crest.

The School Badge and Lodge Crest depict the School’s geographical position on the borders of Hertfordshire and Essex. The open book is a Bible with ‘Verbum Dei’, the Word of God, since the School originated from a non-conformist background. The scroll beneath the Badge carries the words ‘Soli Deo Gloria’, ‘Glory to God Alone’. Sponsored by Stortford Lodge No. 409, the Lodge was consecrated by the RW Bro Admiral Sir Lionel Halsey in the School Memorial Hall.